Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Forgotten North

As I was planning my post, I had planned to write about NAS North housing this week, but Lauren Do over at Blogging Bayport wrote a very articulate post that conveys the current state of the project much better then I would be able to pen. I did decide to document the current state of the housing. Much of the area is barricaded off, but I believe I got enough footage to communicate its present state without trespassing.

This neighborhood is very important too me, because I lived in North Housing from 1977 to 1983. Kollman and Mayport Circles were my home, playground and social scene. During that time it was a thriving community. So, to see the streets empty, buildings falling into disrepair and work being performed to mitigate toxins in the ground becomes very tough to watch. It is my hope that this area is not forgotten and it can become a thriving community again.

On to the video . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment